Monday, December 15, 2008

ohnoes a generic teenage girl rant

It always has to be about you, isn't it?
Your ideas, your style, mine is always wrong because you were born 1337 and pwns0m3. People other than you in this world exist, and it's partially because of you that I'm on the verge of giving up any hope I have of ever making it big because I'm obligated to live in your shadow, eat in your shadow, breathe in your shadow, sleep in your shadow. I feel, all the time, that I'll never be anything more than Number Two, because of you. And it hurts. But most of the time it feels so correct, I'll never be anything more than Number Two.
You call the shots. You're the dream machine and I'm your hands with which I have to slog it out, get down and dirty. I feel like a worker ant under you, and you're the queen ant. The worker ant does all the work, the queen ant sits in a room doing nothing but make new ants all day. And you know that if I can't do it my way I'd rather not do it at all. But this time I can't. Give me my space, dammit, it has to be my thing. When they said it had to be an original work, they meant it, and it probably means that most of it has to come from MY brain. Not yours. If you want to control it so badly just purchase a fake ID and do it yourself.
I don't want to end up being labelled "trusty sidekick". It's a derogatory term for me. I cannot and will not be subordinate to you forever.
Even Robin grew out of Batman's shadow to form the Teen Titans. One day, I'll have to do that, and it'll be painful. It'll be hard. But it has to be done, because I cannot stay second to you.
I'm young. I'm inexperienced. I want change.
Is that so wrong?
I want a style that is mine.
You want a style that is mine.
Please stop confusing "my style" with "your style done with my hands". I'm doing my best to carve out my style, and I don't want it to be just like yours. I don't care if you don't like it, because out of six billion people in the world there's bound to be at least one who will. And for me to even have one person appreciating my style for being what it is, and for it to not be a mindless clone of anything your greatness has ever imposed (I know you're good, and everyone else does as well. You don't need to emphasise it.) on my person.
If you continue, so help me, I'll really be giving up. If I feel worthless I know it's because I am, and the only way for me to not feel worthless is to do something that'll make me feel like I'm worth more than I am now (a raisin). And if you "help me" or "give me suggestions" and I don't accept them, please understand that it's because I don't want to become a mindless clone of you. I want my self-worth, and I want it from doing my thing.
We look the same. Almost exactly the same.
They call me the female version of you.
Do you honestly think I like that? I don't want to grow up exactly the same as you. I know I'm a selfish person, and I know that I'm too selfish to do all the life-saving that you're doing now. I have more chances of being called "scourge of the earth" than being touted a "hero" as you have. Of course if I follow you completely I'll probably end up a hero as well, Hero Number Two anyway. But I don't really want to be a hero. I want to break free from the requirements of emulating you.
Perhaps great things of the world are out there waiting for me, and it's a good idea for me to go out and get them, but I ultimately want to do things my way. I don't want to win this game if I can't play it my way.

I hope you understand.

No comments: