Friday, March 27, 2009

Last Friday I met Ms Kong for lunch. :3 It was pretty awesome catching up with her and everything, considering how the last time I properly spoke to her in person it was most probably about Singaporean history (ew). We had ice cream after lunch. (Roche, Biscuit, Freddo Surprise. Sometimes, many times actually, I love my mummy for picking out such a pretty place where I may have access to Italian gelato every day I want. ^^)

Last week I also went for a two-day Music Theatre course. It was very enjoyable, and I learned about impulse, motivation, and how to lead into a musical number. I kind of died when it came to the musical number itself (I am an ambitious little shit and I attempted the first part of No Good Deed from Wicked.), and went into THIS IS SPARTAAAAAA mode. Here I learned about points of focus (Look at the Grimmerie when you’re reciting the incantations, pass your fingers above the Grimmerie to absorb its magic. Translate it into English and send the spell over to Fiyero through your fingers. He’s over there, over the hills, far away, and he’s getting tortured, and if you don’t save him he’ll die. And you have to save him, because he’s the only person who’s ever loved you.), and also that one must never bring a score with many key changes and tempo changes in as an audition piece. It was such a tiring process (it’s tiring to be frantic, desperate, distraught, frustrated, and cynical, all within about a minute and forty-five seconds, and to repeat frantic, desperate, distraught, and frustrated within a minute and ten seconds about three or four times after that.) that I plopped on bed directly after dinner, and had three hours of undisturbed sleep.
I think I lost the ability to project my chest voice. Shit.

Sunday I tried this thing called baklava, a Greek dessert, at C3 Bayside (South Melbourne), after the aptly themed My Big Fat Greek Sermon (this week’s 40 Days of Prayer and Fasting theme was about Community). It was very very very sweet. It’s made out of pastry and crushed nut paste and honey, and even though I was hungry when I got there, one piece (two bites in one piece) satisfied about half my appetite. I thought to myself, “Horrid horror, the only thing that’s this sweet is caramel. And I’m fasting on it!” but it didn’t contain caramel, thankfully. I don’t mind trying it again actually ^^.

Monday’s lecture about Neuroscience and The Brain was very interesting because we got to see Maureen’s MRI scans. The conversation went something like… (conversation approximated. I’m not a Bookman.)

Maureen: “I had to do an MRI some years back because I fainted in class. I woke up in the middle of a hospital, and a doctor asked me, ‘What’s your name?’ and I said ‘I don’t know.’, he asked me where I worked and I didn’t know… eventually I heard ‘Give her an MRI’ and I was like ‘Shit, they don’t give you an MRI straight away’…”
Me: “Wait, wait. You couldn’t remember your name or where you worked, and you remembered what an MRI was?”
Maureen: “Yes, because I’ve been teaching it for so many years.”
(later)
Maureen: “These are my MRI scans, as you can see they scan the brain in layers.”
Me (thinking aloud): “That looks like Darth Vader.”
Maureen: “Excuse me, but you’re talking about my BRAIN here.”
(I could only do the following because I was sitting in front)
Me: “Yes, you see, that one looks like Darth Vader.”
Maureen: “Why yes, it does look like Darth Vader! *points* and I think that these two look like two little people. It seems there’re little people living in my head.”
-
And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why I like Psychology.

I also went for my first fencing session, which was quite fun. I fought three and won one. I also rediscovered my love for refereeing (because it’s fun to yell things in French).

Tuesday was Drama, and I regrettably did horribly (by my standards) because I had to cleave my actions down to two minutes, and I was lost in the middle because of what I’d removed. I got a 7/10, which was horrible (by my friends’ standards too), and particularly insulting because the second last person to go (I was the first, because the original first person was very late) had a performance lasting five minutes and ten seconds, and she got a 7/10 too. I’m just happy this wasn’t graded, otherwise I’d have freaked out and gone into ZETSUBOUSHITAAAAAAAAAA.

I got down to seriously finishing my Media and Communications assignment, after a period of rather manic information collection. It was very hard to pick a title, and I only picked one just before sending the article in for printing (Shooting The Moon [has a nice ring to it, and sounds like something Sensei would do]). But the overall layout was fine, in my opinion, though I wonder how much I’ll get, since I hear Cephas presents strong competition. (People mistook his actual article for his model article!)

On Tuesday night I got rather sidetracked also, and came up with an adorable .gif introduction for my Psychology presentation, despite the fact that I wasn’t exactly in charge of that area. But it was positively adorable. No one’s said anything against it :3 You shall not see it here, because it does not loop. Maybe I’ll give a URL to follow next week or something.

Wednesday was… Wednesday. Not a lot to say about it really.
Except… I learned the pelvic thrust. I don’t know how, but I just did.
1) Lean back. Ensure you stand with your knees bent so the thrust looks more prominent.
2) Position your hands, based on self-preference.
3) Very quickly, and very strongly, contract posterior muscles. Relax at first possible opportunity.
4) Enjoy shocked, mentally traumatized expressions on faces of people around you.

Thursday was awesome because I’d to print the article, and when it came out I was so moved by the pure beauty of seeing it in A3 and with such beautiful ink. But two bloody grains of fried rice had to come and kill rather small bits of it, which was very sad. Also the Turkish bread I was planning to finish that night went moldy. But besides that it was fun, having dinner. I sat in a rather manly way, if I might say so myself, and Joyce came over and concluded it was indecent. She proceeded to do her very best to get me into a suitably feminine position, and I asked her, “What do you think this is? My freaking Fair Lady?” and she said yes. A rather interesting scene where she attempted to place my legs together and crossed ensued, which ended up with me wrapping my legs around the back of the chair. She tipped the chair over and got me off though. :<
I called Naomi and Prisia and Tereza and Yi Yun to inform them of my impending return. I slept at 4.30 in the morning because of it, and also because of my rabid consumption of cappuccino flavoured biscuit rolls, which cleaned out half the tin in a day.

Yesterday, I got to EAP five minutes late, proving to myself once and for all that I can still cover nearly 2km in 15 minutes with my sling-bag flapping along behind me. We had Cadbury Easter eggs, for reasons I can’t really understand. But oh well.
And I want to watch Slumdog Millionaire.
I’ve started drawing on the back of my foolscap paper again. Today I drew a little cat standing at the foot of a lamppost, with the first four lines of Memory beside it. I’ll probably end up having Phantom of the Opera and Wicked and Avenue Q on it eventually. Which scenes, I’ll worry about later.
Fencing was fun. More refereeing, and I only had one electronic bout, which I lost 9-10. I was quite proud of myself though, and I have a couple of people now who I've promised to fence. ^^

I learned VCA's very hard to get into, particularly for Music Theatre. If that's the case, I'll just have to fight harder, sing louder, sing stronger, believe, react, adapt. And of course, work with Stephan Faubel and Jack and Rosemary and the other Drama teachers. If I can get a place in Grease I figure it'll look good.

On another note...
I have a pretty tidy long list of things I want to do when I get back, will the readers of this blog please feed me with more items to put on it? :3

No comments: