Wednesday, October 15, 2008

The first nightmare

Practical today was horrible.
The preceding practicals were of no joy to me, and this was no different, if not worse.
Today for the first time I experienced the first physical symptom of what I believe is Post-traumatic Stress Disorder.
The Chemistry practical involved two question parts involving heating. I had to burn a splint with a salt on the tip and observe the flame. There was a crackling sound and a white/lilac flame, and I remember a cold sweat forming on my forehead. Then I had to heat the test tube in earnest, and that was when the real problems started.
I started the Bunsen burner.
I looked at the flame.
I held my test tube with the test tube holder.
I held it next to the flame.
I got a headache and put it back on the rack.
I switched off the flame.
After a while I started again.
I held it next to the flame for longer than the previous time.
Water droplets formed on the inside of the test tube.
I couldn't do it.
Then I asked for assistance.
And they said they couldn't help me, though while waiting for confirmation they did help me with it a bit.
And eventually I did it, though both my hands were trembling.
I think I'm screwed for practical.
Oh well, I never did like it anyway.

No comments: