Saturday, July 19, 2008

Last night I went to the Victoria Concert Hall for my primary school's fund-raising concert.
I went in Lolita again, so I won't elaborate on that.
I love the architecture of that place. All the little details and the busts and the pillars and the clock tower, it made the experience that little bit more magical for me.
I met my ex-P6-form-teacher. She had to look twice before she realised who I was, and no one else really did actually, other than her. We talked for a bit. Here is a brief excerpt.
"As you can see I have discovered the world of Japanese fashion."
They started off with Chinese Orchestra, which was the main reason why I was there because my sister was the erhu section vice... group leader. Person. It's called 副团长.

I keep almost no good memories of my primary school, and the reason why I think class spirit in my current class is nothing more than a hindrance is probably because the only class spirit I experienced back then was called Pull Faith's Hair And Call Her Names (Bamboo Is A Good Example). (If that wasn't a hindrance, I don't know what is.) And so I retreated into myself. In any case it wasn't to my advantage if I tried to follow their trends and interests and whatnot. So, partially out of necessity, and partially out of the privileges it would bring, I stopped caring.
(I digress. Though I still hate that place - I was practically suicidal by the time I got out, and I nearly cried during graduation because it was the first time I'd felt free and happy in about three years.)

And so it should come as no surprise, that when the announcer said Chinese Orchestra was the "pride and joy of Kong Hwa School" I leaned over and whispered to my mother, "They probably mean 'saving grace'."
In the process of their performance, which was fair because I didn't really know the songs they played, and I've never heard a bad Chinese Orchestra before, I didn't have much to look at. I realised that the concert hall had really pretty wall lamps, and that the doors had carvings reminiscent of the hilt of Senbonzakura.
But what really stole the show for me was a person I couldn't even see for the majority of the performance.
It was this little boy on the cymbals. He couldn't be more than 1.3 metres tall, and he was blocked by the erhu section where I sat, but I did see him to some extent. A leg, a sleeve... I didn't mind, because it was what he did that made me explode with cuteness.
All through the performance as far as I knew, he kept a very serious expression on his face for a boy his age (I figure he was about nine.), and when he hit the cymbals together he would bend his knees everytime he did. And then, for as long as he needed to, he would bend his knees to keep time. It was adorable, and Inner Shotacon nearly took over. Well... it did actually but I didn't do anything more than squee silently in my seat.
After that was a modern dance. I can't dance for nuts beyond the Hare Hare Yukai, the Motteke! Sailor Fuku and the Soulja Boy (and I don't usually do so because of the first point stated in this paragraph), but the moves kept getting reused so I got bored about halfway into the song (In Your Eyes - Kylie Minogue). And then was a piano-violin-duet (Habanera - Carmen) which was not too great. After that was a piano solo which I can't remember the name of, and which wasn't too well done, but in any case I imagined myself dancing below the stage to it. Of course, that's never going to happen. Not in the next year, at least.
There was choral storytelling, about a pig which wanted to lose weight, which led later to much teasing about how my brother should listen to music while eating so he would become fatter, which, even later, led to an assault on my person.
And there was ballet. Not good.
Then was the choir performance, where the girls got clothes that didn't look great and the boys got it slightly better (oh wait - that describes the situation in all the performing arts clubs in Kong Hwa.). The girls came in with lavender/white sleeves and skirts with black tops and silver belts, and the boys had black pants and purple shiny shirts and silver neck ruffles that weren't really very... ruffly. They sang songs that I didn't know either. Except for 青春舞曲, which was fair.
Then there was a break, where I did next to nothing.
They returned with the Guzheng Ensemble, where there was a boy on the drums who looked like he would, if he didn't shave his facial hair, end up like the leader from Osu! Tatakae! Ouendan. I like my school's Guzheng Ensemble better.
Then the Wushu people came and waved their daos and did a couple of moves that were obviously impractical in the outside world in a proper fight, and more than once I thought, "Oh yes, if Kong Hwa was under attack and I was there I would so trust my life to these people."
Then came the extremely boring Chinese Drama people, whom my sister said were going to do Chinese Opera. (I nearly died on hearing that actually. I hate hate hate Kong Hwa School Chinese Opera. I'd watch everything again that I'd said wasn't good or was plain boring ten times over, just to avoid watching Kong Hwa School Chinese Opera.) Thankfully they didn't.
After that a couple of kids came up and started singing Boogie Woogie Choo Choo, which was cute, but they were really soft.

And the last performance of the night was by the Chinese Dance troupe, which really took my breath away. They got a Gold in SYF as compared to Chinese Orchestra's Gold With Honours.
What strange people the judges are. Perhaps they're like Judge Turpin and look for women. (Ah yes, women. Pretty women.)

the whole lot of them could all do gymnastic splits and bend backwards about 300-degrees and stuff like that *______*

ENOUGH.
I have discovered (danke schon jingna) Sonata Arctica.
Because of this song.


and that is all because i don't want to tell you anything else. (cannot be bothered.)

No comments: