Tuesday, August 5, 2008

The Mr. Sng Vampire Bet Fiasco. Thing.

Over yesterday and the day before I'd wondered how on Earth Mr. Sng could have found my essay 'vampirish' (see last post). So, in an attempt to gain a further understanding, I decided to ask him. With a proper answer.
Why did I emphasise "with a proper answer"? Simple. Mr. Sng's method of answering questions is standard.

EXAMPLE ONE.
Random Person: "Hey Mr. Sng, why is (for example) football played with the foot?" (I asked him this before.)
Mr. Sng: "Well, to answer that, you have to go back to the game's history. How it was discovered or invented, how the rules of the game were developed, and so on. It is likely that you will find your answer there."

EXAMPLE TWO.
Random Person: "Why do we have to (for example) dress like six-year-olds?!"
Mr. Sng: (laughs and does whatever he does next)

THUS with this glorious record of answering questions in this simple and hassle-free way, and my lack of a hard/softcopy, I began to seek Answers.

Then. Enter Prisia.
"I bet you two dollars that by the end of the school day, specifically, Biology remedial, you won't get a direct answer from him. Or an answer at all. Sabotage allowed."
And so the game was on. I'd get my answer, and two dollars. Sweet ^^.

So I spent the day making plans. At Mass Dance Prisia told me that she'd gotten to him and told him not to answer any stupid questions that I posed. I screamed. In the I-want-to-scream-really-loud-but-we're-in-the-middle-of-something-figures-you-get-the-point type way. And she smiled. And that was when the real action started.

I got two sheets of blank paper from the bookshop. And just before Chinese I ran down to Tereza and asked her if she could print a copy of my composition. She said she'd try, and I went off for Chinese.

I returned after Chinese. The library refused to let her use the printer. Oh joy, I was dead and gone. Two dollars... T^T

But there was no Biology remedial, so I celebrated for a while. The deadline was moved to 4.30.

And then I found out, since there was a teachers' meeting which ended at 4.30, there was no way I could win anyway. So there I had it. I'd lost.

But since my original intentions were still there, I placed this email to Mr. Sng.

To Mr Sng:

This is Faith. I'd like to ask for an explanation to one of your comments on the recently returned personal recounts, specifically, about my composition being 'very gothic and vampirish'. While I could understand immediately the first adjective, I failed to comprehend how the composition was, in any way, 'vampirish'. It is for this reason that I wish to seek a second opinion, that of your own, as my attempts to ask Iman for a rational explanation have ended in great futility, mainly because she went into a state of delirium while reading the passage.
The cryptic nature of the final word in your comment has left my person guessing and questioning the possibilities, and it will not be until I find the answer that I may be assured of the nature of that my work. (TYPO OHNOES)

Do reply posthaste.

Thank you.


With all due respect,
Faith Sim Jia Rui
4Z

PS. If you need the composition, the corrected version is on http://tsukiyomi-no-arashi.blogspot.com (from the 33rd/34th line of the body of the most recent post.)


Then I paid Prisia her two dollars. The Game was over.

"So you're not going to resist? Or ask him in person?"
"Yup."
"What *was* your plan as to Mr. Sng anyway?"
"Just, well, ask him. *childish smile*"

She returned me the two dollars. Apparently she was looking forward to some form of sabotage, emotional manipulation, anything for the answer. Because that would have made it fair. But no, I didn't.

"Wow, I don't know who is more manipulative with that one. Of course that never would have worked if you didn't have a sense of fair play about you that she could take advantage of." - Person On Gaia Who Read About This.

Part of me smiles and says that I'd won the game within the game. Another part just wanted the answer, no tricks or anything. All of me is happy I kept my two dollars. XD

THE NEXT DAAAY.

Mr. Sng comes up to me during English.
"What don't you understand?"
"Well, it didn't seem vampirish to me."
"So it's not about vampires? The whole 'made men' thing?"
"...no..."
"Then what's it about?"
"...the mafia. *contented smile*"
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Made_man)

And so it was solved.

... that was seriously funny.

No comments: